Tuesday 25 June 2013

Warwickshire walk.

Last Saturday, I went on another long distance walk ,which was 18 miles, with my camera around the Warwickshire area. I only brought a small compact camera with me this time as I didn't want to be carrying my heavy camera around. I saw lots of interesting things including my first froghopper (Philaenus spumarius) larvae froth. I hope you enjoy the pictures!
 Early purple orchid (Orchis mascula)

  Dryad's Saddle (polyporus squamosus)



Froghopper larvae froth on a nettle. 
Froghoppers are small, brown insects that can jump great distances if threatened. Whilst jumping they hold their wings together like a tent over their body. Their larvae are most commonly seen coated in a mass of froth (also known as cuckoo spit) on plant stems. The froth protects the larva from predators as it feeds on young leaves and shoots, and it also stops it from drying out. It also has a very bitter taste!

 Lots of lovely wildflower meadow at Kingsbury water park.
 Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)
 Two young bullocks.

2 comments:

  1. Did you taste the cuckoo spit like they did on Springwatch? Really good pictures by the way. from Findlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did, It was very bitter like they said it was on Springwatch and thank you!

    ReplyDelete